The William Demant Foundation’s investment activities are handled by William Demant Invest, which is fully owned by the Foundation. In addition to its shareholding of 55-60% in William Demant Holding A/S, William Demant Invest also has owner’s shares of 52% in the Islandic prosthesis company Össur hf., 42% in the real-estate company Jeudan A/S, 22% in the IVF-treatment company Vitrolife AB and 89% in the English medico company Vision RT.
William Demant Holding
The William Demant Foundation is the main shareholder in William Demant Holding A/S. The William Demant Group owns a number of companies that develop and market hearing aids, diagnostic instruments and equipment for hearing and communication, e.g. headsets and systems for the amplification of sound. Some of these companies are Oticon, Bernafon, Sonic, Oticon Medical, Interacoustics and 50% of Sennheiser Communications. William Demant Holding A/S was listed on NASDAQ Copenhagen (formerly Copenhagen Stock Exchange) in 1995 and is today one of the world’s largest manufacturers of hearing aids.
Össur hf. is a global leader in non-invasive orthopedics, focused on delivering innovative solutions in the prosthetics and bracing and supports market. The company was founded in 1971, is headquartered in Iceland and operates with 2,710 employees in 18 countries. Össur hf. has been listed on the Icelandic Stock Exchange since 1999 and on NASDAQ Copenhagen since 2009.
William Demant Invest A/S started investing in Össur hf. In 2004 and has continually bought up Össur shares. Today, William Demant Invest A/S is the largest shareholder with approx. 52% ownership.
The Jeudan group is Denmark’s largest publicly listed real estate and service company. The group’s activities consist of investment in and operation of commercial and residential properties, mainly in Copenhagen, and a complete offering of advisory services and building within real estate – through Jeudan Servicepartner.
The group’s strategy aims at continued growth and profitability based on the values “Orderly, Competent and Accessible”. William Demant Invest A/S started investing in Jeudan A/S in 2004 and has continually bought up Jeudan shares. Today, William Demant Invest A/S is, with approx. 42% of the ownership, one of the two largest shareholders.
Vitrolife was founded in 1994 and was one of the first companies to deal with IVF treatment. Today, Vitrolife is an international medical device Group for assisted reproduction. The Fertility product area develops, produces and markets medical devices for assisted reproduction. Work is also carried out to enable the use and handling of stem cells for therapeutic purposes. Vitrolife has approx. 330 employees and the company’s products are sold in about 110 markets. The company is headquartered in Gothenburg, Sweden.
William Demant Invest started investing in Vitrolife in 2014, selling its ownership of FertiliTech shares to Vitrolife. Today William Demant Invest owns approx. 22% of the company.
Vision RT is an English-based medico company, founded in 2001. The company develops and produces camera systems and software that improve and streamline the use of X-rays for the treatment of cancer tumors. The camera systems make it possible to monitor and position-control the patient in real-time to ensure that the patient is in the correct position during radiation therapy and that the cancer patient’s healthy cells and tissues are exposed to as little harmful radiation as possible.
William Demant Invest A/S acquired approximately 89% of the shares in Vision RT in 2018.
Borkum Riffgrund 1
In 2012, William Demant Invest A/S entered into a joint operation with KIRKBI and DONG Energy to construct 77 wind turbines each of 3.6 MW in the North Sea at the German coast.
The 50% ownership in Borkum Riffgrund 1 is held by Boston Holding A/S, where William Demant Invest A/S owns 37% and KIRKBI the remaining 63%. DONG owns the other 50% of Borkum Riffgrund 1.